If you are using a computer with windows 8, 8.1 or 10 installed on it, and then you may know the dpc watchdog violation problem. This error is becoming one of the most occurring errors on the windows platform. If you are facing the same issue in your windows platform, then don’t worry! You are not alone who is dealing with this problem; there are a lot of other people too who are facing this issue. So, what is this error and how you can fix it? Let’s read on to know!
DPC Watchdog Violation Error : What is it ?
In the Windows OS, this error is very common. There are some specific reasons due to which this issue occurs in the windows OS including hardware incompatibility issues, unsupported SSD firmware, old SSD driver version, or system files are corrupted. The first thing to check if you are using SSD on a windows computer is the SSD’s firmware version and make certain that it is updated. If you think there is any hardware that’s causing the dpc watchdog violation problem simply remove them to remove the incompatible hardware problem.
What Causes The Issue?
There are several things that can cause the problem in the Windows operating system. The SSD drive in the windows is one of the most common reasons. You can face this error if the SSD drive has an old firmware that is not supported by windows. For one of your hardware components, an outdated driver can also cause the error to occur.
For instance, if the sound card driver doesn’t support your Windows 8, then just plugging in the headphones could produce the error. The software installations that can affect the system can also cause this error to occur and the corresponding blue screen of death.
DPC Watchdog Violation Windows 10 Fix
As mentioned above, you are not alone who is facing this issue with windows; there are other people too. Down below, we have suggested a few best methods that can help you to fix the same issue in windows, and are very helpful. The following useful methods may work great for you to fix the issue on the Windows system.
Fix#1: Changing The SATA ACHI Controller Driver:
According to a broad range of windows user, this method is the most effective one to fix the dpc watchdog violation error. So follow these steps to fix the error:
- First press the windows key + X key at the same time > on Device Manager to open.
- Now in the opened window click on IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to expand.
- Then right-click on the SATA ACHI controller > click on Properties. To make certain that you have chosen the right controller: go to the Driver tab > Driver Details. Ensure that the iaStorA.sys is on the list as a driver > click OK. If you’re seeing storahci.sys listed here, move on to update available drivers.
- Click Driver > Update Driver.
- For driver software, simply click on Browse my computer.
- Click on “Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer. (It list will show available drivers that are compatible with the device and all the drivers in the same category as the device).
- Click on “Standard SATA AHCI Controller” > Next. Complete the rest of the procedure to update drivers.
- After that restart the computer for the change to commence.
Note: Every time you update your windows, you may have to do the same procedure again. It’s a normal situation. So, no need to worry about it.
Fix#2: Turning Off Fast Startup:
- First in the windows, go to Start menu > open Control Panel > in the opened window click on the drop-down arrow titled View By and slick on Small icons > choose Power Options.
- Click on choose what the power buttons do from the left side panel.
- Choose Change settings that are not available currently.
- Then keep scrolling down until you locate the “Turn on fast startup” option. Once found, uncheck it.
- Click on Save to keep the changes you’ve made.
Fix#3: Checking Software And Hardware Compatibility:
As mentioned before, with the system OS, incompatible hardware devices and/or conflicted software could also be the reason of the dpc watchdog violation error.
Check Hardware Compatibility:
If you have installed or connected any external devices with the system, like a USB flash drive or external hard drive, then simply unplug then all and leave the keyboard and mouse connected, then restart the system.
Then connect the external devices again with the system one at a time and restart the computer. If you face the same error again, then it’s clear that the device you have plugged into your system is the culprit. You can either update this device’s drivers or replace it completely from the computer.
Check Software Compatibility:
If you have started facing this error recently, then try to reflect if you have made some changes recently in the system. For example, have upgraded some applications or have installed a new app.
You might need to do a system restore if you are not sure what changes you have made. It will assist you in going back to the previous stage of the computer.
Fix#4: Checking For The Corrupted Hard Drive:
- First in your windows, open start menu then type cmd in the search bar > right click on the on the command prompt option > select Run as administrator.
- Then allow the administrator permission and enter the following command in the cmd: “chkdsk c: /f /r” > press Enter > type Y key. By pressing this, you will allow to check next time you start the system.
- Then restart the computer so that windows can be able to perform a hard disk check. If found any issue, it’ll assist you in fixing it.
Fix#5: Run The Event Viewer :
- This method will not help you with a fixing, but will surely help to be able to find the culprit device or driver that is causing you to face the dpc watchdog violation blue screen error.
- Press Windows + X key at the same time > click on the Event Viewer to open it.
- In the opened window click on Windows Logs on the left-side panel > System.
- Then you will see some entries in the middle part of the panel. In those entries check for the ones that are marked by Warning or Error sign. This way you will be able to see the thorough information about at a certain time range what exactly went wrong.
Fix#6: Reinstalling The Display Driver In Safe Mode:
- First, open Run by pressing Windows + R key at the same time > type in msconfig > click OK.
- In the opened window, go to the Boot tab > under the Boot Options, check the Safe boot box > select Network.
- Next, click on OK > select Restart.
- After restarting you will be in Safe Mode.
- Then open the Device Manager > locate and expand the Display adapters option > right-click on the adapter that you have and select Uninstall.
- Then confirm to delete the driver software for the device you are using > click on OK.
- Then restart the system, and this method will fix the error.
Facing the dpc watchdog violation error is a big issue for Windows users. If you are facing this error then what will happen? Your windows system will crash and to be able to use your windows again, you will have to restart it and all the unsaved data you’ve been working on for hours will be lost. You encounter this error in windows due to the incompatible hardware, wrongly installed or outdated driver. You can’t guess the occurrence of a computer windows crash because even the smallest command can set off the BSOD.
The only method to stop this error from occurring in your windows again is by keeping all your windows system updates and device drivers installed in the correct way. However, if you don’t know what the reason for this error is, then following any or all of the methods mentioned above can solve this issue.Easily do Fix: Spotify Keeps Crashing on Windows 10